Saturday, June 23, 2012

All That Glitters Is....

Today I'm going to show some of the fairies that I have painted over the last couple of years and I'll try to remember list what all was used in the process.
I will apologize now for the less than perfect camera quality because I'm down to the ipod until the battery for the good camera is charged.

This little girl had been bleached by the sun for years when I picked her up and took on the task of brightening her up.  I used FolkArt Metallic paints in Amethyst and Blue Sapphire for her dress/wings, Metallic Christmas Green for her hat, FolkArt Extreme Glitter paint in Hologram on her wings and the neckline of the dress and Light Fleshtone for the face, arms and legs.
I mixed the blonde color for her hair using Sunshine Yellow and a few blops of Sienna and then went back over some of the wavy areas with the Extreme Glitter in Champagne.
Craftsmart paint in Orchid was used for the flower she sits on, then I covered over that with Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Acrylic Glitter Paint in Charoite.

I also replaced the gems on her wings as best I could. The gems have flat bottoms and are clear, blue and pink on both upper and lower wings.

A better angle of the wings to show the glitter and gems.


This is the Halloween themed fairy, inspired by our neighbor's daughter, who thought that a Halloween fairy would be cool!
She is unfinished as of right now, but I'm going to be getting back to her tomorrow, provided I haven't spent the whole day in the garden!
In addition to what was used on the little fairy above, I also used FolkArt acrylic paint in Autumn Leaves / Extreme Glitter in Orange for the dress and hat, accented by Metallic Black in the sleeves and the edges. Light Fleshtone for the skin and mouth, Metallic Amethyst for the flowers, then I lightly brushed over them in places with Metallic Gunmetal Gray. I also did the same with the flower leaves and grass, only in two different shades of metallic green.
I'm still working on the wings as they do not or will not come off so I can better reach some of the inside towards her back.


And lastly, this bigger girl that I started on last month, who will eventually make her way intothe north side of the yard once we get the landscaping there laid out the way we want.
The only things left to be done on her are her wings, which I have been blending to match her color scheme.



I do know that in the garden, I need to pick up some stuff to take care of the Japanese Beetles.
I noticed a couple of them on my big rose bush and my tri-color butterfly bush yesterday.
Last year the beetles were eating on the rosebuds before they could open!
Its really frustrating to see something so small rummaging through your beautiful plant like it was a sock drawer.

I'm hoping Mom will be in the mood to hit up Michael's or Hobby Lobby sometime this coming week because I really want to go check out some more card stock for my card list idea and maybe some stamps and punchers while I'm at it!
This crafting is contagious!  Every time I start with one idea, about fifteen more sprout out from it.
And it will come in so handy over the long winter to have a variety of things to keep me occupied so I don't get too stir crazy from being cooped up.

That is all I have for today as its just been hot and stuffy, but it should be good out for a few days, until the dreaded 101 degree day hits!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment