Friday, August 3, 2012

Tending and Hauling

The recent crop of cherry tomatoes kept up busy last week.
The Honey and I were out every evening, picking the little tomatoes and checking in the big garden for other produce.
Here are a few pictures of our recent haul of cucumbers and the giant head of cabbage.

We are still finding big cucumbers in the garden, they grow along the sides and up the fencing.


There is now one head of cabbage in the garden as I just cut another one out about a half hour ago.
Once cut, I take the bigger, raggedy leaves off and leave the excess in a nice, shady spot for the bunnies.

Outside of bringing in produce now, I still have my battle with the Japanese beetles, but even that is getting easier since we picked up traps.
Here is a picture of the trap I set up for the beetles.
The trap works by placing a pheromone bait on the lower third of the yellow bag hook and that will bring the little monsters over to it in droves!
I didn't have the trap on a post yet and the beetles were following me through the yard!
The company that makes the traps is called Safer.
I have used their gardening products before and haven't found anything unsatisfactory about them yet.
In six days my package of extra bags, bait, and spray should be here so I will have all I need to combat the Beetle Empire! (insert victorious laughter here.)
Here is the short video of the trap so you can kind of see it in action.


In other developments, there is now a nice area around the back of the big shed taking shape.
Mom was out to Menard's again as well as the local nursery, and she picked up cobbler rocks.
She's placed all of the rocks around the area where her Heather and Azaleas are located, mulched it in good and it looks really awesome considering nothing used to be back there.



as you can see, there is a plethora of painted things back here, mostly for the solar lights that have been hung like miniature lanterns, but its a lot brighter and open back here now.

On the crafting front, I am doing the projects I had started over the winter.
I currently have two knitting/crochet projects.

This is the beginning of a large blanket.
I am using Red Heart yarn in Aspen and I am down to my last one, so I will have to go out and pick a few more up at some point.



This is a kid's blanket I am doing. The squares will all be linked together with coordinating colors in solid blocks.

I keep these as weekend projects, especially for Sunday since there is usually nothing interesting going on that day.

That is all that is going on for today, but there are more veggies coming in and the flowers are regaining vigor now that the beetles have something else to occupy them!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment